Editing packages for fictionWhere the sparkle happens!
Adding some sparkleShining and polishing your manuscript until it gleams
Sniffing out mistakesHunting down those pesky errors and nuking them off the face of your manuscript
Packaging it all up nicelyMaking sure your work is formatted neatly and correctly for the next stage of your journey
I offer a variety of proofreading and editing packages aimed at helping independent authors polish their work for submitting to agents or self-publishing. For all the packages below, it is assumed that you have either had editorial input at a developmental stage, have used beta readers or writers’ groups, or are otherwise completely happy with your story in terms of plot, characterisation, point of view, etc.
I focus on word- and sentence-level concerns, not issues with the foundation of your story.
Find out more
This is for authors who have had their work edited and proofread but want to blitz any lingering mistakes before publication.
I will read through your book for a flat fee. During my readthrough, any errors I find will be highlighted at the cost of £1 per error. Unless asked otherwise, I will note typos, homophones, incorrect punctuation, incorrect hyphenation and wonky formatting. The cleaner your document, the cheaper this package will be.
You can put a limit on the number of errors spotted, and I will get back in touch if I reach it and ask how you want to proceed. If you then decide to go for the full Proofreading Package, you will receive a discount.
My reading fee is £1.50 per 1,000 words and a further £1 per error noted.
The proofreading package includes one pass of the document and consists of:
- Checking for mistakes in spelling and grammar
- Correcting/improving punctuation
- Highlighting incorrect words and suggesting alternatives
- Checking for formatting problems and/or putting Word document into proper format for typesetting/submission to agents
- Ensuring consistency in spelling/hyphenation/capitalisation, etc.
- Ensuring chapters are numbered and formatted correctly
- A style sheet recording editorial decisions
An additional pass can be added for a discounted fee. I can work on Word files or on a type-set PDF proof or ebook file.
Price starts at £8 per 1,000 words
The copy-editing package includes one pass of the document and takes in all of the checks in the standard proofreading package and additionally consists of:
- Smoothing awkward sentences and ensuring your sentences flow naturally. This may take the form of limited rewriting/recasting of sentences or of comments in the margin with suggestions
- Ensuring consistency in character traits and story timelines (no changing eye colours or children at school on Sundays!)
- Dealing with overuse of crutch words and phrases
- Ensuring clarity and excellent readability for your audience
- Basic fact-checking of names, places, etc.
- Ensuring language used is appropriate for the audience
An additional pass can be added for a discounted fee. I can work on a Word file or, if you do not have Word, I can work in Pages and Open Office.
Price starts at £11 per 1,000 words
The line-editing package includes one pass of the document and takes in all the checks in the standard proofreading and copy-editing packages and additionally consists of:
- Suggestions for improving text on a stylistic and creative level, such as flagging areas with too much telling, where point of view is unclear, where imagery could be strengthened, etc.
- Limited rewriting of sections to improve them stylistically, where possible; otherwise, comments in margins to suggest or flag areas where your writing could be improved
- Careful attention paid to dialogue to ensure character interactions sound natural
- A short editorial report pointing out any issues I feel would benefit from being looked at more closely, including characterisation, plot, pacing, etc. Please note that I recommend you are entirely happy with your story on a foundation level before you seek an edit.
- List of resources such as articles and books curated specifically for your needs
Additionally, each package comes with resource packs on self-publishing and assistance from me on the self-publishing process. Among other things, I can advise on formatting, marketing, cover design, publishing platforms.
Price starts at £13 per 1,000 words
If you want me to spot-check changes you have made following an edit, I can do this for £27 per hour.