Editing packages for fictionWhere the sparkle happens!
I love reading a good novel, and I also enjoy editing them too! If you’ve written a crime or romance novel (or maybe both in one!) that needs a polish before publication, then I can help you to make sure your work is correct and consistent.
I do my best work when I’m free to focus on sentence- and word-level concerns. That means that before you approach me to edit your novel, it’s best that you’re happy with the bigger issues of your story – that is, things like point of view, plot, pacing, and structure. . If you think you need some help with putting together your story elements, get in touch and I can point you in the direction of some really good fiction developmental editors who can help you out.
If you are happy with the overall shape of your manuscript and require polishing of the actual text, then I just might be the right editor for you!
My services offered include proofreading, copy-editing, and the error-nuke (a fixed-price readthrough with a small charge per error found). Find out more below!
Finished your first draft but not sure where to go next? Friends and family are great for getting feedback, but sometimes you need someone to be honest and tell you what’s working and what’s not.
A manuscript critique looks at the big-picture issues of your story: plot, point of view, character, pacing, dialogue. You’ll receive a written report on what I think is working well and what I think could be improved. I’ll even offer suggestions and resources to help tackle any problems, plus one hour of follow-up support via email.
£400 for novels between 60,000 and 90,000 words. £450 for novels between 90,000 and 120,000 words.
If you’ve already had your work edited and proofread but are keen to mop up any lingering mistakes, the Error-nuke can help to blitz any remaining typos and grammatical errors.
For a flat fee, I will read through your book in whatever format you have it in – Word, PDF, ebook, etc. During my readthrough, any errors I find will be highlighted at the cost of £1 per error. Unless asked otherwise, I will note typos, homophones, incorrect punctuation, incorrect hyphenation, and formatting issues. The cleaner your document, the cheaper this package will be.
You can put a limit on the number of errors spotted and I will get back in touch if I reach it and ask how you want to proceed. If you then decide to go for the full Proofreading Package, you will receive a discount.
My reading fee is £1.50 per 1,000 words and a further £1 per error noted.
This package is ideal if you’ve already had your work edited previously or if you are extremely confident in the standard of your writing.
It includes one pass of the document and consists of:
- Checking for and correcting mistakes in spelling and grammar
- Correcting punctuation
- Highlighting incorrect words and suggesting alternatives
- Checking for formatting problems and/or putting Word document into proper format for typesetting/submission to agents
- Ensuring consistency in spelling/hyphenation/capitalisation, etc.
- Ensuring chapters are numbered and formatted correctly
- A style sheet recording editorial decisions
An additional pass can be added for a discounted fee. I can work on Word files or on a typeset PDF proof or ebook file.
Price starts at £8 per 1,000 words
If you’re fairly confident in your stylistic ability, then the copy-editing package will focus on the five Cs – clarity, consistency, conciseness, comprehension, and correctness. It involves one pass of the document and takes in all of the checks in the standard proofreading package and additionally consists of:
- Smoothing awkward sentences and ensuring your sentences flow naturally. This may take the form of limited rewriting/recasting of sentences or of comments in the margin with suggestions
- Ensuring consistency in character traits and story timelines (no changing eye colours or children at school on Sundays!)
- Dealing with overuse of crutch words and phrases
- Ensuring clarity and excellent readability for your targeted audience
- Basic fact-checking of names, places, etc.
An additional pass can be added for a discounted fee. I can work on a Word file or, if you do not have Word, I can work in Pages and Open Office.
Price starts at £11 per 1,000 words
This is for authors who want the whole package. Line-editing lets me get a bit more hands-on with the text and is almost like having a mini writing coach (I am quite small, after all).
The line-editing package includes one pass of the document and takes in all the checks in the standard proofreading and copy-editing packages and additionally consists of:
- Suggestions for improving text on a stylistic and creative level, such as flagging areas with too much telling, where point of view is unclear, where imagery could be strengthened, etc.
- Limited rewriting of sections to improve them stylistically, where possible; otherwise, comments in margins to suggest or flag areas where your writing could be improved
- Careful attention paid to dialogue to ensure character interactions sound natural
- A short editorial report pointing out any issues I feel would benefit from being looked at more closely, including characterisation, plot, pacing, etc. Please note that I recommend you are entirely happy with your story on a foundation level before you seek an edit.
- List of resources such as articles and books curated specifically for your needs
Price starts at £13 per 1,000 words
If you want me to spot-check changes you have made following an edit, I can do this for £27 per hour.
Sniffing out mistakes
Hunting down those pesky errors and nuking them off the face of your manuscript
Packaging it all up nicely
Making sure your work is formatted neatly and correctly for the next stage of your journey
Adding some sparkle
Editing polishes your fiction manuscript until it gleams